Happy New Year!
Well, it was certainly an interesting year in 2008…and 2009 is shaping up to be no less intriguing.
As a firm believer that we have more control over our destiny that we think, I’ve put together a top-10 list of wishes that I have for our country, our dear province of Alberta, and for all of you.
Here we go in no particular order:
- A rebound in the economy led by solid fundamentals and not another bubble (of any kind)
- Few, if any job losses. All of the macro stuff seems less important when you’re out of work.
- Market-led improvements to how business is done, rather than a return to Keynesian intervention by government
- Politicians who play to win…by putting the country first.
- Letting good companies succeed and not punishing them for it
- Letting bad companies go out of business and not bailing them out
- Sensible lending policies by all who set them…and responsible borrowing by individuals
- Mid-to-long term reduction in wasteful government programs.
- The elimination of Capital Gains taxes
- Goodwill towards our fellow citizens
Wishing you and yours a successful 2009!