Real estate lawyers play a very important role in the home buying and selling process. They are responsible for preparing all mortgage documentation, dealing with the transfer of funds involved in the purchase or sale and orchestrating the transfer of the title of a property from one owner to another.
In addition, your lawyer is your council, advising you of your rights and responsibilities and ensuring that you fully understand the binding contracts you are entering into. For this reason, it’s vital to take the time to find a lawyer that you feel comfortable with so you can freely ask any questions you may have.
To get the low down on what you should be looking for when hiring a real estate lawyer, we went to some of the firms we entrust with the care of our own clients. According to these sources, top notch real estate law firm will make it a priority to:
- Ensure that all monetary details are set out clearly so that the client understands exactly where the funds come in from and where they go
- Clearly list the disbursements and other costs a client would be responsible for paying for
- Be available to answer any questions clients may have at any point in the home buying process
- Offer alternate times for signing documentation, within reason
- Provide professional, timely and courteous service
For additional tips about hiring a real estate lawyer, refer to this article from the website Canadian-lawyers.ca.
Also, take a look at Buying A Home in Alberta for more information about what to expect when purchasing a home and working with a real estate lawyer.