Is it too soon? Too soon to talk about summer? At the risk of bringing on a June snowfall, here’s a few tips found on CHMC’s list of summer home maintenance jobs to at least contemplate before the official first day of summer arrives on June 21st.
- Monitor basement humidity and avoid relative humidity levels above 60 per cent. Use a dehumidifier to maintain relative humidity below 60 per cent.
- Clean or replace air-conditioning filter, and clean or replace ventilation system filters if necessary.
- Check basement pipes for condensation or dripping and, if necessary, take corrective action; for example, reduce humidity and/or insulate cold water pipes.
- Check the basement floor drain to ensure the trap contains water; refill with water if necessary.
- If you have a plumbing fixture that is not used frequently, for example, a laundry tub or spare bathroom sink, tub or shower stall, run some water briefly to keep water in the trap.
- Deep clean carpets and rugs.
Click here to have a look at the rest of the list then go dig our those patio lanterns – at least they’ll look pretty in the snow!