Savings Goal (Canadian) Definitions
- Savings goal
- The amount you wish to have in savings at the end of this savings plan.
- Years to save
- The number of years you have to save.
- Amount currently saved
- Total you currently have saved toward this savings goal.
- Monthly savings
- The amount you will contribute each month to your investments. This calculator also assumes that you make your contribution at the beginning of each month.
- Expected rate of return
- This is the annually compounded rate of return you expect from your savings (after taxes).
The actual rate of return is largely dependent on the type of investments you select. For example, for the last thirty years the average annual rate of return for the TSX is about 10%. Savings accounts at a bank or credit union may pay as little as 2% or less. It is important to remember that future rates of return can't be predicted with certainty and that investments that pay higher rates of return are subject to higher risk and volatility. The actual rate of return on investments can vary widely over time, especially for long-term investments. This includes the potential loss of principal on your investment.
- Expected annual inflation rate
- What you expect for the average long-term inflation rate.